Saturday, March 04, 2006

Geometris Obscuritism

"I am starting a new religion of 'geometris obscuritism'. The circle, ellipse, parabola, hyperbola are my Gods in whose doomsday powers I hold my belief. Depiction of these in any form hurts my feelings and signifies malicious intent. I sincerely request all publishers of higher secondary textbooks to immediately stop publishing these. Henceforth, students will have to do with imagining these figures without the diagrams part. In an agreeable afterthought, they can join my protest and extend it to any analysis of their Gods. Infact, I would further consider the word 'conics' to be spiteful invective against the revered ones. I would also request the Government of India to ban all books with disgraceful depictions of the venerable ones, in the spirit of inclusive secularism. Minority protection is a supreme responsibility and what better minority than one which has only one follower. I would also request all heads of state to disassociate themselves with publishers who proceed to spread this vile invective against my peaceful religion. My religion is the most peaceful on earth but if these mischievous elements are not controlled it may lead to desperate measures. My religion may have a shortage of followers right now but in wake of my protests, I expect large numbers of higher secondary students who share my emotions to join the protests."


When I had first heard of the Jyllands-Posten cartoons and the resulting uproar ( it was still not frontpage news then) , the first thoughts that had come to my mind were a way to liberate all high school students from the tyranny of geometry. I had suffered at its hands and didn't want it inflicted on other unprepared souls (Only goes to show my spirit of disinterested altruism). What I found is that I am not the first wiseguy around and there have been various joke religions doing the rounds. Prominent amongst these are the The Invisible Pink Unicorn and the Flying Spaghetti Monster (However none of these have the disinterested altruism part - so my joke religion kicks their joke religion's ass ;p).

Disclaimer:
These were only the first of my thoughts on the issue. They have evolved since then. Perhaps I will document those on another day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

iam ready to proselytize.add me to your religion...hehehe.would love the religion of hyperbola and parabole!

Anonymous said...

spell check that..parabola!